The Guide’s Company is proud to announce the discovery of an incredible tarpon fishery in Gabon, Central West Africa.
- Bordering an expanse of nature reserves with several river systems and coastal lagoons, lined by mangrove forests – These waters are home to the gargantuan West African Tarpon!
- After years of exploration through these remote and exquisite locations, we have consistently landed large tarpon ranging from 40 to 280lbs plus, on the fly.
- Join Arno Matthee and TGC for a life changing tarpon fishing experience and be the first to cast a fly to one of the world’s last untamed monsters, the great “Silver King”.
Tarpon are considered as one of the great saltwater game fish! We at TGC specialize in targeting tarpon on fly as they are truly a magnificent fish to target on a fly rod. Their strength, stamina and fighting ability make them Central West Africa’s premier game fish and their spectacular leaps into the air, will leave you with a lifetime of unforgettable memories.
Whilst this trip will predominantly focus on Tarpon (Magalops atlanticus), these waters however, also host a large number of other challenging and dynamic species such as: the Jack Crevalle (Caranx hippos), longfin Jacks (Caranx fishery), the Cubera Snapper (Lutjanus cyanopterus), Giant African Threadfin (Polydacylus quadrifilis) and Guinean Barracuda (Sphyraena afra) along with many more that can be targeted with a fly rod as well as spinning gear. We also have a new addition to the target species – a West African grunter (Pomadadsys suillus), all of which eagerly take the fly.
Typically, anglers will start their day early! Your guide will plan the fishing excursion the night before, based on the tides and weather forecast – giving anglers the best opportunity to catch their dream fish.
As mentioned, the main focus of these trips will be on Tarpon, however if you would like to target a different species, please feel free to discuss this with your guide who will make every effort to accommodate you.
Packed lunches and snacks will be served on the water. Dinner will be enjoyed at your hotel or one of the many great restaurants in Port Gentil.
We are a specialized guiding outfit boasting the most experienced guides in the entire West African region. The fishing will be done from 21 foot Pro V Orca flats skiffs, equipped with 140hp Suzuki four stroke outboard engines and one guide for every two clients.
The season in Gabon is from late October to mid May. The temperatures can range from 27ºC at 80% humidity to 37ºC at 95% humidity.
Anglers traveling to Gabon will enjoy comfortable hotels pre selected by TGC. These hotels are situated close to small marinas, enabling easy access to the flats skiffs and minimizing travel time to and from the marina. The cost of these hotels is an estimated 100USD per night and is subject to change. These prices are included in the trip cost, however if anglers would prefer slightly more upmarket accommodation, TGC will gladly assist in this regard and the extra cost will be added to the overall invoice.
Tidal movement and weather conditions determine the dates of these fishing trips, and as a result, trips do not run on a weekly schedule. This however, does ensure optimal fishing conditions and the most favorable tides for tarpon fishing.
Trips are based on six full days of guided fishing and anglers are requested to arrive the day before the start date of their trip. A detailed itinerary of the trip is available upon request.
Several options are available when traveling to Gabon! It is however, highly recommended that you consult your travel agent when making your travel arrangements. Flights should be booked well in advance to avoid disappointment.
There are numerous flights per week from Charles de Gaulle, Paris, France.
From United States of America and any Countries outside Europe and South Africa:
TGC suggest connecting through Europe or South Africa and recommend consulting your travel agent.
From South Africa:
Flights to Gabon leave Johannesburg approximately four times a week.
Passport must be valid for at least 6 months from your return date.
International guests require a Visa. The Guides Company will assist with letters of invitation in order to obtain a visa. Travelers must have a return (or onward) air ticket, pre-booked accommodation and sufficient money for their stay.
South African citizens do not require a visa for Gabon.
Passengers are legally allowed to bring 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars OR 250g tobacco and 1 liter of spirits or wine.
Please note that due to the remoteness of the operation, The Guide’s Company will NOT accept CREDIT CARDS for any expense incurred during the trip.
The currency for Gabon is the Central African Franc. The rate of CFA is fixed to the Euro and as a result the euro is accepted at most hotels, shops and restaurants. TGC recommend that Anglers bring Euros when travelling to Gabon.
French is the predominant language. However, some service providers do speak a bit of English.
Gabon – Airtel, Azur, Liberte
We suggest that you carry sufficient Euro to settle tabs and gratuities. The recommended gratuity for guides is US$ 75.00 per angler per day. All gratuities must be paid in cash.
Medical evacuation and Travel Insurance
Medical Evacuation and Travel insurance is of utmost importance. Clients are to make sure that they are adequately insured for medical evacuation and any personal loss during the entire length of the trip. The Guides Company reserve the right to cancel a trip if a client is not adequately insured. The Guides Company will require proof of Travel Insurance and Medical Evacuation before the trip can be finalized.
Vaccinations and Prophylactics
All anglers traveling to Gabon need to obtain a yellow fever vaccination certificate at least ten days prior to travel. Gabon is considered a malaria area and we strongly advise anglers to take the necessary malaria prophylactic medication.
- 12-weight rod (Spare rod is highly recommended)
- 12 weight reel with a large arbor (must have a strong reliable drag)
- WF 12F floating line for tropics x 2
- WF 12 Intermediate fly line x 2
- WF Liviathan 500gr Intermediate x 1
Leader and Tippet:
- 80 to 100 Pound Fluorocarbon shock leaders (50 yard spool)
- 50 to 60 Pound Monofilament leaders (50 yard spool)
- 10 x 3/0 Black and purple deer hair and Schlappen flies
- 5 x 3/0 Yellow and red deer hair and Schlappen flies
- 5 x 3/0 Chartreuse and yellow deer hair Schlappen flies
- 2 x 3/0 Grey and white polar fiber minnows
- 2 x 3/0 Olive and white polar fiber minnows
- 3 x 3/0 Purple and black tarpon toads
- 3 x 3/0 Chartreuse and yellow toads
- 8 to10 Weight Rods
- WF Floating Line
- WF intermediate Line
- 350 to 700 Grain Sinking lines
Leader and Tippet:
- 65 lb. Piano Wire
- 30 to 50 lb. Fluorocarbon Carbon spools
- 3/0 Clouser Minnows Chartreuse/ White
- 3/0 Clouser Minnows Tan/White
- 3/0 Closer Minnows Black/Grey
- 3/0 Whitler Black/Purple
- 3/0 Whistler Tan/White
- 1 Avalon Crabs
Please Note: Fly Packs are available from TGC and must be ordered at least 60 days prior to the trip.
Clothing, Footwear, Eyewear and Sun Protection:
- Long sleeve technical shirts SPF30+ (light colors)
- Technical long pants or shorts (light/dull color)
- Sun gloves
- Finger guards or stripping gloves
- Cap / wide brimmed hat
- SPF 50+ Sunscreen
- Polarized Sunglasses (copper / brown or amber lenses)
- Deck shoes
- Waterproof bag
- Lightweight pliers with line cutter
- Insect repellant
- Lens cleaner for sunglasses
- A reservation requires a 50% deposit, payable within 7days of invoicing.
- Four (4) months prior to departure, 100% of the total amount is due.
- If a booking is made less than 90 days prior to departure payment in full is due immediately.
The “Gabon” waiver must be completed and sent to the respective booking agent before a booking can be made. The Guide’s Company reserve the right to cancel a booking at any time, should the client/participant refuse or fail to complete the “Gabon” act, whereupon the normal cancellation policy, as initiated by client/participant will apply.
- If a cancellation is made 120 days or more prior to departure, 30% of the charter rate shall be forfeited.
- 91-119 days prior to departure, 50% of the charter rate shall be forfeited.
- 30 days or less prior to departure, full individual charter rate shall be forfeited.
- Should payment not be received on time, the reservation will automatically be cancelled within 7 days of notification.
- In the event of a cancellation by The Guide’s Company for reasons beyond their control, payments received will be fully refundable OR allocated to the next trip, as per the client’s instruction.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice.
All cancellations MUST be made in writing. Once a deposit is received, all revisions are subject to a US$200 handling fee. The Guides Company reserves the right to cancel a trip due to bad weather conditions.
All prices are subject to availability, change by service providers and are quoted at low season.